Sunday, November 10, 2013

Abricotines

These are not badly made macarons (really!). These are abricotines, although since I have made the raspberry jam version I suppose they should be framboisines? Anyway, they are essentially macarons but with cake flour added to the mixture. I am still not sure what makes cake flour different to plain flour, but since that is what the Laduree (cannot find accents on this keyboard, sorry) recipe calls for I made a special trip to Walmart for it. The recipe makes a huge batch of mixture which allowed me to do some experimenting. I found that when using baking paper the bottom of each half would colour too quickly and sometimes burn, even when I used a double layer. Turning the oven temperature down when the tray went in made no difference, so I kept it at 170 degrees. The best results came from using my macaron mat on the mini-macaron side, no burnt bottoms and a nice even, round shape. These are the ones in the photo, the first batch looked nothing like them! Strictly speaking they should be covered in flaked almonds but I left those out so I could see what was going on in the oven.

Thanks to the Veterans Day sales a shiny red standing mixer is on it's way, so get ready for even more baking posts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment