Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cake disaster!

I have been looking forward to doing some baking in the new kitchen, especially after following the Bake Off from afar. I made some langue de chat on Friday (the easest recipe I could find in the Laduree book) and learned that "conv bake" and "bake" are very different over settings. Today I decided to test the oven with a victoria sponge, as recommended by Mary Berry, and it has gone very badly as you can see! The cakes have sunk in the middle, which means there was too much raising agent in the mixture. I am pinning the blame on the self raising flour. Americans don't really use SR flour so I guess I was lucky to find it at all, but it seems like the stuff they do have has a higher proportion of raising agent than UK flour. Or maybe it's just this brand. The only way to be sure is to try and make another cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment